Saturday, April 13, 2013

Easy Swiss Steak Dinner

Tonight's Dinner:
*Slow-Cooker Swiss Steak w/ organic onions, a touch of honey (pure raw honey from a local couple), our canned diced tomatoes, sea salt/pepper
(We purchase a half of grass-fed, hormone/antibiotic free beef every spring and I like using the chopped steak for this meal-so juicy and tender)
*Cream cheese n' chives organic mashed potatoes
*Our homemade canned applesauce
*Our canned pickled beets
*Homemade bread w/ our strawberry freezer jam
(My friend's yummy recipe: http://kellyscozykitchen.blogspot.com/2011/03/perfect-for-sandwiches-whole-wheat.html ) *This time I used 1/2 whole wheat 1/2 unbleached white for a lighter texture

This is a fairly easy and super yummy meal to make. Even little Micah gobbled it up. I literally tossed the meat, can of diced tomatoes, a chopped onion, and a touch of honey into my crock-pot and let it cook on low all day. Whipped up some mashed potatoes. I recently saw the Pioneer Woman's recipe for mashed potatoes that included  a chunk of cream cheese in it and decided to do that. Makes them extra creamy and delicious. I threw a little chunk (maybe 1/4 cup?) in and when I went to get my salt shaker out, saw my container of organic chives (from God's Garden) and decided to toss those in, too. Viola! Cream cheese n' chives mashed potatoes! That is pretty much how I work in the kitchen, tossing in things here and there and always switching up a recipe if I am using one! Opened up a jar of our homemade applesauce (or you could use store bought) and heated it up on the stove. Opened up a jar of our surprise beets. Surprise because last fall we canned pickled beets AND regular beets to be cooked on the stove. Guess who forgot to label which were which before they got mixed up?? It's always fun to open a jar and see which we are going to have! ;-) And lastly, sliced some bread that I had made two days ago, warmed it up a little, and spread our yummy homemade jam on it. A family favorite and the picture just doesn't do it justice! :-)



4 comments:

  1. That looks quite tasty!! And I like your quote from Little Women - I'd never come across that one before. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks yummy! How about I be your
    taste tester? =)
    Love your blog! I always look forward
    to your next post. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! It was yummy :-) I promise I will work on my plate presentation, haha! I had a hungry crew I was trying to hurry and feed, so I just grabbed a quick picture, beet juice running all over! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks yummy! So glad you enjoy my bread recipe! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete